Subtitle

For babblings about Sean, autism, my thoughts, oh, and yarn, lots of yarn....

Friday, September 24, 2010

Wow. Sorry about that.

I let this go for a while. Well, life got busy, school started, yada yada yada. School is going ok so far. We haven't had a conference yet, but I'm counting on going over our allotted time. Behavior is not where we want it to be, though the teacher doesn't seem that worried about it as of yet.

Sean brought home to me just how visual his thinking is in the second or third week of school when the reading story was about penguins. One of the vocabulary words was "down" meaning the soft fine feathers. As we would go over his vocabulary words he could rattle off the other definitions pretty easily, but I could see the brakes go on when we'd get to down. I asked Sean if it was hard because down can mean something else too. He agreed that it definitely was. I asked him what he sees in his head when he hears the word down. He sees a person or thing falling. Bingo! Thinking in pictures. He has to change gears to remember that "down" in the context of the story does NOT equal a person or thing falling.

In things not necessarily related to Sean, the first month of my term as the Potions professor in the Harry Potter Knit/Crochet House Cup is concluded, and grading was much harder than I anticipated. I managed to complete six classes in the first month as well. I made three hats, a little pouch to hold my stitch holders, a pair of ankle socks, and another We Call Them Pirates Hat. (ravelry link) I don't have big plans for classes this month because I need to get my OWLs to 50% for midterm points. I'm working on a History of Magic OWL and a Transfiguration OWL.
Here are a couple photos of the materials used for my OWLs.
DSCN1006.JPG

DSCN1007.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment